Sunday, June 10, 2012

My Background

Well I’m going to start off by saying two things: I’m not very good at writing and I hate writing about myself. I know this is a blog and you usually share things about your life and things going on but I feel like my life is mostly boring and not much happens day to day. I’ve had a request from someoneJ to share more information on here about my life, my goals, my thoughts and feelings, and just random things!! Practice makes perfect and so I’m just going to start and hopefully over time I get better at it. If you have any suggestions for me about my writings or website please let me know. You can call, text, tell me in person, or email me at steve@thewhiteheadjourney.com. I would really appreciate it!  I’m not doing these things to boast or brag. I feel that we can learn from each other’s experience so my hope is that as I write you will be able to receive new insight and ideas for your life and that you would share your adventures with me so I can learn and grow also!!

I guess today I’ll just start with a basic introduction and then over the next few entries I’ll tell you more about my goals and feelings. My name is Steven William Whitehead. I was born on August 4th, 1988 at LDS hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. I was raised in the Millcreek area on the east benches of the Wasatch Front. In my family I have my two parents and 9 siblings; 3 older sisters, 2 older brothers, and 4 younger sisters. Growing up in a large family I learned a ton of useful lessons and I attribute a lot of whom I am (personality and temperament) to having a large family and being a middle child. One blessing I’ve always had in my life is being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and having parents who loved the gospel and taught by example.

I had the privilege of attending public school and being enrolled at great schools where you were able to learn in abundance. In high school I started flight school at a local college, SLCC, where I got my private pilot’s license for small plane (being part of this program has changed my whole life). In August of 2007 I embark on an LDS mission to the Micronesia Guam Mission. While there I served on Guam and Pohnpei, which I’ll be going back to in September, for all my mission but had the opportunity to see the other 5 islands included in the mission. On the mission I learn innumerable amounts of lessons and grained many valuable traits that I picked up from those I served around.

I returned from my mission in 2009 and attended Salt Lake Community College. During that semester I learned about a neighbor of mine, Dan Bentley, who was up in Oregon being a flight instructor for helicopters. While attending flight school in high school I always had a draw towards helicopters so when I learn about Dan I immediately gave him a call. I went up to Oregon in October and then again in December and moved up there in January 2010. I obtained my private pilot’s license for helicopters over the proceeding 5 months. That summer I worked up at Mt St Helens as a loader for helicopter tours.

I moved home in September of 2010 where I once again went to SLCC and got my instrument rating for helicopters with Upper Limit. I moved to Provo in January 2012 to start the aviation program at UVU to get a degree in Aviation Management. I started my commercial license down there. I am currently living back in Salt Lake City and finishing up my commercial license with Utah Helicopters. That is the basic outline of my life. I’m sorry for the long post but since that is out of the way I can now have smaller and more insightful post from here on out. I hope this gave you a little more knowledge about myself and where I came from!!! And the journey continues!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment