Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Regrets.


The other day I stumbled across a great quote “I do not regret the things I've done, but those I did not do.” I’ve seen how true this quote is just in that past week and it’s been confirmed by looking back on my whole life.  I can’t think of one adventurous thing I have done in the past that I regret doing but I can remember times I wanted to do things and never did and now wish I would have done them. 

Here are a few things I’ve done since reading this quote. Last week a friend of mine and I decided to go night climbing up Big Cottonwood Canyon at Storm Mountain. We started climbing around 10 pm and finished up at Midnight. It was a great time. On the way home I mentioned that I was still full of energy and the topic of hiking Grandeur Peak came up. We debated over it for a few minutes and I brought up that quote (I had just learned of that quote that very day). We immediately headed up Millcreek Canyon to do the hike. We arrived back home three and a half hours later at 3:30 am. It was well worth it and I don’t regret it one bit. While on the peak we could see the lights from Draper and the point of the mountain all the way up past Bountiful. The seemed to be that the whole city was asleep accept us. No noise, no movement, just the cool breeze and city lights. It was an amazing moment!




            This past weekend I was on the way home from party with a couple friends and we wanted to still do something. We had ideas of doing a hike or something and after conversing we choose to go hike down a six-foot tall tunnel in Tanner Park. Now you might no think that this is that crazy but let me explain. To get into this tunnel you have to climb down a manhole and then once is the tunnel you have to walk down a river of flowing water. When we got to the tunnel the manhole was cover with a cement barrier so we slid down some 20-foot “I” beams and then squeezed through a creak between two of the “I” beams.  The tunnel is about a quarter mile long and takes about 20 minutes to walk.  Once at the end you are in a little pond of swampy water cover in plants. If you hike up a steep 15-foot embankment you can hop a fence and you are at the Country Club golf course. We ran around the course for a few minutes and then headed back up the tunnel. We got home around 2:30 in the morning after have a great time.



            I’m so glad that I did both of these activities. I know if I wouldn’t have done them I would have regretted it for the next few days or even weeks but now I have some great memories and was able to build some great friendships on the way!!

            Next time you are debating on whether or not you want to be adventurous remember this quote: “I do not regret the things I've done, but those I did not do.” Life is full of adventure and the journey continues!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment