Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The What If's of Life and The Now


“Go for it now. The future is promised to no one.” -Wayne Dyer-

This week I feel like I’ve learned a very valuable lesson that I hope I can always remember!! I would like to share it with you. This past weekend I was put in a situation where I had to make a pretty important decision. As I was trying to choose what to do I kept having thoughts that started with “what if.” “What if this happened?” or “what if that worked out?” As I thought about these concerns I noticed that they were focused on the future and things that I don’t have control over. I realized that there were no answers to the “what if” questions and that I needed to care about the now and the things I already had and could change.

Steve Jobs once said, “you can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backward. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something- your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.”

As I was reminded of this quote I thought of how we only have a say of what happens in the future by making wise choices now. We never know what those choices will bring about but we can make the best decisions by seeing what we have now in the present time.  If we make our choices based on what we think will happen in the future we will quickly find out that the future is always changing. Now I’m not saying to forget about the future and the consequences our choices will have on it but don’t base your decisions on the future because we never know what will come about.

            It was put best by Ralph Waldo Emerson, ”With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now.”

            Live and choose in the now. The only thing we both know and have control over. And the journey continues!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment